Monday, July 09, 2012

Day 1: It is Monday and I have nowhere to be

I think it's important I document this strange gift I have received.  Today is my first day of uncertainty.  I am indeed unemployed for the first time in my adult life and it has peaked my interest beyond belief.

It's 2012 and the world economy is shit.  I have worked, and plan on continuing to work, in the music industry which has corroded more and more, year after year in the 10+ years I have spent in it.  I would also like to say i'm a shadow of my former self physically but shadows are usually skinnier than the real person so that doesn't work.  I'll just say I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life and if I were to fight in the UFC I would be taking on Jon "Bones" Jones who has 8 inches on my and probably 15 inches wingspan-wise.  Not nice.  The newfound 'freedom (?)' has also propelled my mind into deep thought.  Do I want to jump back into the workforce that over the last year felt like a spin-cycle?  Do I actually have a career based on the 10+ years I've invested in the music industry?  All in all if If i had the patience I would start reading and quoting Neitzsche like a real prick to describe this feeling.  But enough of that for a while.  This is a project of some sorts and I have to outline my goals., so here goes it.

* Drop down in weight-classes.  I'd like to drop from Jon Jones, past Anderson Silva, to a a catchweight around Georges St. Pierre.  To translate, I gotta lose at least 25 pounds.  I'm going to be going to the gym every day Monday thru Friday and hopefully sprinkle in some outdoor activities in a week or so when my endurance is up.  I'd love to surf if I can but I'm thinking running on the beach is a positive first step.

* Cook, and cook more.  I have the time now to make meals and I want to grow my arsenal in the culinary department.  I'm not half-bad I think, I mean I sure as shit can eat.  I can make fatty mexican food like nobodies business but that isn't ideal.  This week I will make Cacio E Pepe and then hopefully the week after I can share it with my madame Jennifer.  If I can handle this accordingly the good news is I'll be saving money and making healthier food...not bad.

* Spruce up my home.  I live in a HOME, I actually OWN something, so why haven't I taken ownership and organized what needs to be organized, hang up framed pictures, and make this place sparkle and shine?  I know why, but now I have the time and need to make it happen.

*  Be Creative.  I have a few projects I've spent hours and hours on...the problem is those hours have always been long thoughts and day dreams.  I need to buckle down and at least make a few baby steps at first.  From there I'm hoping I'll see some sort of finish line in the distance and at least get something out there.

*  Focus.  This is easily one of my greatest weaknesses.  I can't focus for the life of me and with this much time on my hands I could easily lose my mind.  I can't allow that to happen.

Those are my goals for now.  My last goal is to use time wisely so i'm not going to dwell on this.  30 minutes a post max.